GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOTV) - I'm doing it. I'm actually doing it.... my first 5K. My husband got bit by the racing bug last Summer and ever since has been trying to convince me to run. I'm not athletic and I'm not sporty so I've went to the races as a faithful cheerleader but the thought of waking up at the crack of dawn to get out and run 3 miles seems crazy to me.
When I was approached at WOTV 4 Women to participate in this race to inspire new moms to get out and get active I said, "sure" through a fake smile. Inside I was thinking, "oh my gosh I have to RUN?!"
The hardest part was figuring out when to get active and how. My husband was key to this process. Here's what we're doing as a family to help me on my journey.
1. I plan out the week's dinners in advance and make sure all of the ingredients are ready to go. Every morning before work I leave a note with the dinner instructions for my husband.
2. My goal is 3 nights a week at the gym. I pretty much hate running at this point and since I work out at Snap Fitness I've been really taking advantage of the "Fitness on demand" program. This is a virtual workout class where you choose the class and a screen comes down and plays the video. I also try to fit in some additional cardio time of 15-20 minutes on the treadmill. Currently I'm up to 2 miles on the treadmill and it takes me about 30 minutes.
3. While I'm working out Adam picks Easton up from daycare, gets him home, starts dinner, gets the mail, feeds the dogs and starts a few chores.
4. When I walk in the door Easton is usually in the high-chair having his dinner and Adam has our dinner about 75% complete.
5. I shower, eat, give Easton a bath, play and put him to bed.
I wish I could say we're doing this every night, but it is happening about 3 nights per week which I'm happy about. I also wish I could say I'm seeing some great results in my mid-section but nothing much has happened yet. Patience and perseverance are key. I know that right now I need lots of encouragement. The hardest thing is when I tell myself all of the reasons I shouldn't be going to the gym. All of the reasons I need to hurry up and just get home and how I'm soooo tired or that I just miss Easton or that I will just go tomorrow instead. The excuses are endless. I've got to say the best feeling in the world is after that workout and knowing that I did it. I can only image how I'll feel after completing my first 5k!
One of Grand Rapids newest draws to visitors and locals alike, The Downtown Market, is buzzing with holiday cheer! Go inside the market and browse our photo gallery!
What is your favorite holiday book? Maranda asks several West Michigan librarians about their top choice.
Decorating your kitchen can be fun, but make sure you don't go too overboard- you still need to be able to cook and eat in that space. Here are a few easy ways to decorate your kitchen for the holidays.