"Kale to the Victors!" Party Chips
Updated: Friday, 16 Nov 2012, 4:07 PM EST
Published : Saturday, 17 Nov 2012, 12:50 AM EST
Grand Rapids, Mich (WOTV) - A party just isn't a party unless there is a salty crunchy snack that can be grabbed by the fistful, right? Here is a perfect alternative to a deep-fired version, "Kale to the Victors" Party Chips. They are a salty, crunchy treat that you can make right in your own oven in about a half an hour AND you will be increasing your consumption of dark leafy greens. This may be the most economical and easiest recipe I've posted to date. If you are thinking about venturing into plant-based cuisine, this is a GREAT place to start.
Just remember to make A LOT of them due to the shrinkage factor of kale leaves and the "taste testing" that is sure to take place. Kale chips are a perfect snack for Thanksgiving day while relaxing and watching the games with friends and family.
“Kale to the Victors” Party Chips
Makes approximately a quart size bag
1 Kale bunch
2 T EVOO
2 t Sea salt
• Clean kale, remove the stems and tear into medium sized pieces (too small and they will blow around when dried)
• Place the olive oil and salt in the bottom of a large bowl
• Toss the kale leaves in the oil and salt mixture, making sure leaves are entirely coated
• Place kale on the dehydrator sheets in a single layer
• Dehydrate at 118* for about 2 hours, or until the chips are crispy and dry
• After 30 minutes flip the kale chips to make sure the leaves do not stick to the sheet
• No dehydrator? Spread on a cookie sheet and place in your oven on the lowest setting with the door propped open, then follow the same directions above. The dehydration time will be accelerated because your oven will most likely be warmer than 118*. We tested this in our oven at 200* and it took about 30 minutes. Remember to flip them after about 15 minutes. You'll have homemade, vegan, gluten-free chips that are tasty as well as economical. Kale! Kale! To Michigan the leaders and the BEST!!!
Copyright Margaux Drake
Spice up Memorial Day this year with these 10 fresh, delicious, and flavorful …