Updated: Tuesday, 30 Oct 2012, 8:13 AM EDT
Published : Thursday, 11 Oct 2012, 2:13 AM EDT
Grand Rapids, Mich (WOTV) - The holiday season is just around the corner, make your time in the kitchen more enjoyable, more efficient, and safe by practicing proper knife skills and keeping your blades sharp.
• Invest in a quality chef’s knife as this is the knife you will reach for 90% of the time.
• It should feel comfortable and balanced in your hand. If it feels good, buy it!
• Hold your knife properly. A firm grip is good but a tense one will cause fatigue.
• Keep your blade sharp. You can control a sharp knife while a dull knife can easily slide off of what you are cutting and cut you instead.
*Hint: Your good chef’s knife should NEVER be used to open holiday packages (no matter how excited you are to receive them) this will damage and dull the blade.
• Have your knives professionally sharpened once a year (you have plenty of time before the holidays) and swipe on a sharpening steel, as needed, between uses to maintain its edge. Yes, by ACTUALLY doing this, you will be amazed at how much quicker and easier you can slice and dice!
I send my knives to:
Stony Lake Cutlery
6110 South 56th Avenue
New Era, MI 49446
Or, you can bring them to: Godwin's Ada Village Hardware location they can sharpen while you wait!
• A dishwasher can damage quality knives, so always wash and dry your knives by hand immediately after use.
• Storing your knives on a magnet keeps them from knocking around in a drawer, dulling the blades and it keeps them easier and safer to grab.
Practicing these simple tips will make your time in the kitchen easier and safer this holiday season and beyond.
From our kitchen to yours...Happy Chopping!
Follow Teresa's personal journey through breast cancer and get to know the real …