Updated: Thursday, 31 Jan 2013, 8:16 PM EST
Published : Thursday, 31 Jan 2013, 8:16 PM EST
Grand Rapids, Mich. (WOTV) - Join WOTV 4 Women in supporting, "Go Red for Women"! Friday Feb 1, 2013 is the 10th annual National Wear Red Day. So pull out your favorite red dress, scarf, top our outfit and unite with women across west Michigan and beyond to Go Red for Women !
For 10 years women have fought heart disease and saved the lives of more than 627,000 women. But the fight is not over. Because this No. 1 killer is still taking the lives of our mothers, sisters, daughters and friends. Because women we love are dying, and many more are impacted every day.
As we look toward the 10th Annual National Wear Red Day this February, it’s more important than ever for women to stand side-by-side to end heart disease. It's time to shout louder, stand stronger and demand change. It's time to come together in a movement that is not just FOR women, but BY women. It's time for women to Go Red.
We’ve made significant progress, but we have far to go. Here’s why:
• Heart disease is still the No. 1 killer of women killing more women than all kinds of cancer combined.
• Heart disease kills more women than men.
• One woman in three dies of heart disease.
• Heart disease kills more women than all kinds of cancer combined.
• Approximately 42 million U.S. women are affected by heart disease.
• Ninety percent of women have one or more risk factors for developing heart disease.
• Women’s heart disease symptoms are different from men’s and are often hidden or misunderstood.
• Only 24 percent of participants in heart related studies are women.
Together, our strength is greater than any killer. As we begin our 10th year, it’s time to unite, raise our voices and move forward. That’s why we’re asking you to help raise funds for the education and research projects that will get us further down the road.
Here’s how you can join in:
Go Red. Show your support and encourage others to do the same. Collective action can make a life-and-death difference.
Share woman to woman. Inspire others and be inspired. Tell your story, offer your wisdom and learn from other women at GoRedForWomen.org.
Take care of your heart. To make a habit of healthier food choices, visit GoRedForWomen.org.
Demand change. Speak up for public policies that advance heart health for women. Become a voice within your community and other women’s voices will join in.
Help us make America go red and Save Women’s Lives! Learn More at GoRedForWomen.org/WearRedDay
Show your support by wearing a red dress pin! Get your free red dress pin here.
The community is came together to work up a sweat and raise funds for the YWCA …