A sectional is the perfect ingredient for a family room.
Updated: Monday, 05 Nov 2012, 11:38 AM EST
Published : Monday, 05 Nov 2012, 11:38 AM EST
Grand Rapids, Mich (WOTV) -
The family room is the ultimate community area. There is something for everyone: space for playing, working, and of course, TV watching. The family room is perfect for play dates as well as entertaining friends or snuggling up for a movie night. These five simple ingredients will help whip up a room that appeals to the whole family.
1. A huge TV. Instead of having multiple TV’s in different rooms, go all in with a great big set up. A big TV will create a special place for those movie nights this winter.
2. Kid Friendly furnishings. Instead of buying “kid” furniture, look for grown up pieces with dual functions. Like a vintage coffee table that wipes up easily, Cleanable fabrics for your furniture or storage upholstered ottomans.
3. Light-blocking curtains. In rooms where window treatments are for adding softness rather than blocking light, use solid fabrics or basic patterns. Close the curtains for a theater effect or to add warmth. Bold fabrics can add energy to the room.
4. A dirt hiding rug. Look for rugs that are soft and durable and have a pattern that make sense for families. Meaning: it is stain- concealing but also sophisticated.
5. A comfy sectional. There is room for everyone on a sectional but steer clear of too large sectionals that take over the room. You need enough space to fit side tables, floor lamps, and a few other seating spots.