Updated: Thursday, 30 Aug 2012, 9:22 AM EDT
Published : Thursday, 30 Aug 2012, 12:26 AM EDT
Grand Rapids, Mich. (WOTV) - The kids are going back to school soon, so if you’re hoping to have some design time for yourself, these are fun, quick and relatively inexpensive ideas that will make a WOW impact.
1. Decorate rooms that often aren’t. Wouldn’t it be more relaxing doing the laundry in a bright and organized space? Put up a pretty valance, get some colored canvas sorting bags and paint the walls a soothing spa green. OR what about finally organizing the garage or storage room in the basement? Colored canvass or plastic bins will keep those spaces organized and looking more cohesive.
2. Wallpaper is making a comeback and there are so many places you can use it to make a focal point. Use wallpaper on an accent wall, half bath, behind a bed or dresser or even on sliding doors to create moving art!
3. Make an impact statement with something black, with something clear (think retro acrylic chair or table for something chic) or a totally unexpected color in something small like a vase of flowers. All things you can easily replace when you get tired of them.
4. Paint some furniture. One or two pieces of painted furniture will stand out from your typical wood tables, chairs or cabinets. Depending on your style, try a high gloss finish or go more rustic with a hand-rubbed look.
5. Go for the original. Rather than use a replica of something old, find an original in a salvage yard, garage sale or antique store. Happy hunting!
6. Small potted plants might be nice, but wouldn’t a tall, lush plant be more dramatic and show your room in a more upscale way?
7. Drama in the bedroom! Since your bed is usually the focal point, really make it stand out with an oversized bed, canopy or extra large headboard. And remember, nightstands really don’t need to match so that’s another opportunity to do something different.
8. Who says towels always need to be on a towel bar? Not me! Try hooks, a vintage cook rack, ladder or even a glass door knob rather than the horizontal bar. If you have the room, you could really splurge on a heated towel rack!
9. Give yourself a time out in your own bedroom! A cozy reading chair or pair of chairs for sharing morning coffee or late night sip of wine can make a big difference in your day or night.
10. That empty corner bothering you? Find a cool folding screen to add some drama. Or get a funky pedestal that can hold a vase of flowers or greens, plants or even a figurine.
Remember, this is 4 you so have some fun with these ideas. Feel free to share YOUR ideas below or on our Facebook page .
Copyright Photo credit: http://www.bedroominterior