Grand Rapids, Mich. (WOTV) - I recently ran across another article that revealed tasks that you can do to ensure a good marriage. These are thanks to Judith S Wallerstein, PhD, co-author of the book The Good Marriage: How and Why Love Lasts. While I have not read her entire book, the nine tasks are something all couples can try, so I thought I would pass them along.
Tasks for a Good Marriage- Judith Wallerstein
1. Separate emotionally from the family you grew up in. This does not mean to disown your family and never see them, but establish your own identity.
2. Build togetherness based on a shared intimacy and identity, while at the same time set boundaries to protect each partner's autonomy.
3. Establish a rich and pleasurable sexual relationship and protect it from intrusion of the workplace and family obligations.
4. Confront and master the inevitable crisis of life.
5. Maintain the strength of the marital bond in the face of adversity. Marriage is a safe haven where you should be able to express feelings and differences.
6. Use humor and laughter to keep things in perspective and to avoid boredom and isolation.
7, Nurture and comfort each other and offer encouragement and support.
8. Keep alive the early romantic while facing the realities wrought by change.
9. For couple with kids, embrace the roles of parenthood while protecting the privacy of you and your spouse as a couple.
Disclaimer: nothing herein constitutes legal advice
Students at Forest Hills Central have worked together for years to raise money for Van Andel Institute.
Gail keeps you in the know on what is going on in the latest family law issue of whether a father can gain custody over a fetus and therefore limit the liberty of the mom before the baby is born.
Radiothon Thursday, December 12th and Friday, December 13th