The holiday season is in full swing and families are busier than ever! For this reason I thought it was a great time to share with you what our Meijer dietitian team eats when time is tight. Here are some of our fast favorites – delicious alternatives to fast food when there's little time to cook:
From Shari Steinbach, MS RD Meijer Healthy Living Manager
• Whole wheat cheese tortellini with veggie pasta sauce
• Whole grain Naan Bread pizza made with goat cheese or 2% milk mozzarella cheese, caramelized onions and walnuts
• Simple Pesto Frittata: Stir 1/3 cup prepared basil pesto in 8 beaten eggs, and about 3/4 cup 2% milk mozzarella cheese. Top with tomato slices and sprinkle with additional mozzarella cheese. Bake until frittata is set.
• Pasta Salad Nicoise: Mix a couple cups of cooked whole grain pasta with tuna, kalamata olives, cooked potato slices, green beans, chopped tomato and hard cooked eggs.
From Janine Faber, MEd., RD Meijer Southern Region Dietitian
• Make ahead breakfast Muesli parfaits: Mix milk, vanilla extract, almonds and oats. Layer with yogurt and berries.
• Panini's: grilled with Whole wheat baguette, fresh mozzarella, tomato slices, basil, spinach leaves, and a spread of pesto.
• Chicken and vegetable stir-fry – use frozen vegetables or use up any (or all) of the vegetables in your refrigerator produce drawer.
• Dessert: Yum! Coconut grilled pineapple ( see www.Meijermealbox.com ) serve with coconut or vanilla ice cream.
From Kristen Johnson, RD ACE-PT Meijer Central Region Dietitian
• Ground turkey tacos using reduced sodium taco seasoning, top with plenty of veggies, 2% milk shredded cheddar cheese and guacamole.
• Turkey burgers on Meijer pretzel buns
• Breaded chicken breasts: first dip boneless, skinless chicken breasts in egg and then dip in a blend of whole wheat bread crumbs mixed with parmesan cheese. Pan sear in olive oil.
• Eggs over easy with whole grain toast and sliced tomatoes.
From Tina Miller, MS RD Meijer Eastern Region Dietitian
• Hearty hot breakfast: Scramble two eggs with 1 Tbsp. Meijer real bacon bits and 1 Tbsp. chopped green onion, and sprinkle with 2% milk cheddar cheese - wrap in whole wheat tortilla. Enjoy with a glass of Meijer calcium fortified orange juice.
• Leftover salad. Top bagged salad greens with leftover chicken (or use leftover salmon, beef or pork). Add chopped red onion, grape tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese and Greek dressing. Enjoy with Hint of Salt Triscuits.
• Super Simple Soup Supper: Heat one 32 ounce carton of Meijer Naturals chicken broth with 1 pkg. Meijer frozen mixed vegetables. Add 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken and 1 cup leftover cooked pasta.
Enter to win a $50 SUBWAY Restaurant gift card from Jordan Carson and the Social Sizzle! Enter to win here!
Jan shares some helpful hints for getting your home holiday ready!
Warm up this season with a $50 gift card from BIGGBY and Jordan Carson! Click here and enter to win!