If you have school aged children, you know the past week has been a blur of back to school preparation; piles of paperwork to fill out, tackling the school supply list and of course fall clothes shopping. Back to school shopping was one thing I loved as a child. Each year, my mom and I would pick a night and meet up with a friend of mine and her mom. We'd have dinner at Olga's in Woodland Mall and then hit the stores. Fast forward about 20 years and I still love to shop, but instead of coming home with the must-have hobo bag or ballet flats, I'm buying diaper bags and soccer cleats.
One of the things I love to do in my downtime is page through the most recent issue of People Style Watch or InStyle to see what the current trends are. Although I don't get to update my closet as much as I'd like, I still like to be on trend and incorporate a few fun pieces each season, so I don't look totally out of touch when it comes to my wardrobe.
Recently Maranda and I were talking with a co-worker about looks we are seeing for fall and it gave me the idea of compiling a list to share with fellow moms looking to grab a few new pieces this season. Using my arsenal of fashion magazines I compiled a top ten list of fall trends that any mom can easily work into her wardrobe.
1. Green – Green is for sure the color of the season. Hunter green, jade and teal are all colors that you're going to see a lot of. It's a great shade that you can mix and match with black, blue and brown, so it's easy to incorporate into your closet. It also looks like it will be a hot nail color this season as well.
2. Leather – Leather seems to be all over the pages of every fashion magazine I've picked up lately. Coats, skirts, pants and even sleeves on sweaters and shirts. This can be a hard look to pull off without looking like a biker chick or a dominatrix, but try a patent leather handbag or colorful leather shoe if you're shy about sporting too much of it.
3. Military Deals – A lot of the sweaters, dresses and pants this fall have embossed buttons, gold detailing and military influencing.
4. Trumpet Hems on Skirts – I am not a huge fan of this look, but it is something that any women, no matter what their shape or size can pull off. Whether it's on a dress or a skirt a mid-thigh or above-the-knee trumpet shape can be worn at work, at church or out to dinner.
5. Shift Dresses – These loose dresses are stylish and again, flatter lots of figures. Most magazines are showing them at knee length and long sleeved with bright colors and graphic patterns. Dress them down with a flat to help at your child's school or pair it with a heel for a night out with your hubby.
6. Big Chunky Jeweled Necklaces – I saw a lot of these last year and wanted one, so I'm excited they are still in style this fall. Magazines are showing them on everything from a basic white t-shirt to sweaters and dresses. The more bling the better!
7. Animal Motifs – This is one that I don't know if I can embrace, but owls, dogs, wolves and cheetahs, seem to be all over sweaters (and I'm not talking the print). I was at Target last week and they had tons of tops with animal images on them. It's kind of a juvenile look (if you want my opinion), but apparently they are all the rage.
8. Gold – It's not just for the holidays anymore. Gold fabric and glitter can be found on everything from pants and sweaters to handbags and shoes. If you're not into the complete 24 carat look, try simple gold hoop earrings or bangles
9. Brocade – I've seen this ornate fabric on coats, but designers have started to use it on skirts, blazers and even skinny jeans. Most magazines are showing it in black with accents of gold and even purple.
10. Shoes – The biggies are ankle strap heels, loafer pumps, smoking slippers and equestrian boots. I'm also still seeing a lot of the booties from last year still on trend for fall.
It's the first Christmas lights competition of its kind for television! Four families will compete each week to transform their homes for the holidays for a big cash prize!
Enter to win a $50 SUBWAY Restaurant gift card from Jordan Carson and the Social Sizzle! Enter to win here!
Jan shares some helpful hints for getting your home holiday ready!