GRAND RAPIDS, Mich (WOTV) - One of the reasons people love living in Michigan is the fall apple season and this year promises to be one of the biggest harvests in decades! For a mere 95 calories, a medium apple provide 4 grams of soluble fiber and is a good source of immune-boosting vitamin C. As a sweet and filling snack, apples can help you manage your weight and the soluble fiber aids in controlling cholesterol levels. Apples also contain a significant amount of disease fighting antioxidants. Now that you know how healthy they are for you and it’s time to add a bag (or two) of Michigan apples to your shopping cart, and use them in these easy and affordable recipes with all ingredients you can get from Meijer!
Apple Slaw with Honey Poppy Seed Dressing
Makes 6-8 servings
- 1/4 cup Meijer cider vinegar
- 1 cup lite mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup McCormick® poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup Meijer honey
- 2 tsps. kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Dole Coleslaw mix
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 4 Michigan Gala or Fuji apples, cored, chopped
1. Prepare the Poppy Seed Dressing. In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients together until well blended. Set aside.
2. Prepare the salad. In a large bowl, combine the coleslaw mix and carrots, and apples. Pour in the reserved dressing and toss until well blended. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving, mixing the salad at least once to evenly distribute the dressing.
Caramel Maple Yogurt Dip
Makes 2 servings
- 1 cup Meijer lowfat Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp caramel dip
- 1 Tbsp. Meijer maple syrup
- 1 cup sliced Michigan apples
- Additional dippers - Sliced banana, pear and lowfat graham crackers
1. Mix yogurt, caramel and syrup in mixing bowl.
2. Serve with apples and other dippers.
Apple Pear Crumble
Makes 6 servings
- 4 Bartlett pears, peeled and sliced
- 4 Michigan Gala apples, peeled, sliced
- 1 cup Meijer rolled oats
- 2/3 cup Meijer brown sugar
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp. McCormick allspice
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice
- ¼ cup Marzetti caramel dip
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Grease 8x8-inch baking pan. Cover bottom with pears and apples.
3. Blend oats, sugar, flour, butter and allspice with an electric mixer until it binds and is coarse. Crumble mixture over pear and apple slices. Sprinkle with orange juice.
4. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown and fruit is soft. Drizzle with caramel dip.
It's the first Christmas lights competition of its kind for television! Four families will compete each week to transform their homes for the holidays for a big cash prize!
ABC is heating up with all new episodes tonight! A familiar face returns to Grey's Anatomy, and loyalties are tested on Scandal. Here's what's in store for your favorite Thursday night shows on WOTV4!
In this melting pot we call America, now more than ever before, there’s a growing interest in preserving individual cultural traditions — before it’s too late. In our own community of Grand Rapids, one can find pockets of cultural shopping and crafts where folks are showing a new appreciation for their own origins. Sherwin-Williams Colormix 2014 forecast calls this palette INTRINSIC.