GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOTV) - It's the million dollar question. How can you raise happy children? Child development experts who study the subject say that happiness isn't something you can give a child like a present, it's something that you have to work at. While many people think showering your child with gifts or spoiling them will make them happy, this isn't always the case.
Maranda sat down with psychologist, Tom Karel, of Pine Rest Christian Services to find how parents can create a happy home for both their children and themselves.
1. Parents need to provide unconditional love and acceptance. Children want to feel safe and secure.
2. Both parents need to work as a team and work together.
3. Kids thrive off of consistency. Make sure your parenting style and boundaries are consistent, predictable and kids know their limits and expectations.
4. Valuing your child's individuality. It's important to understand and appreciate what makes your child unique.
5. Teach your child about their importance in the world and standards that they should live by.
It's the first Christmas lights competition of its kind for television! Four families will compete each week to transform their homes for the holidays for a big cash prize!
Enter to win a $50 SUBWAY Restaurant gift card from Jordan Carson and the Social Sizzle! Enter to win here!
Jan shares some helpful hints for getting your home holiday ready!