GRAND RAPIDS, Mich (WOTV) - I don't blame you – Spring is here, and you're excited about buying that newer vehicle! But here are some helpful new tips in making sure you get the most value for your car buying dollars:
How to Score a Great Deal
• Try to find at least 2-3 different vehicle types that you would consider for your budget, so you have some variety in your consideration – this creates some bargaining power at the dealer
• Know the value – search sites such as Kelley Blue Book, NADA and Edmunds.com to search the exact vehicles you're considering, with all options added so you have a clear understanding of the price you may be anticipated to pay
• When working with a dealer, be specific about what you're looking for, and confirm that all quoted prices are "off the lot" prices … no hidden add on costs to be added
• Don't hurry in your decision – today's great deal should be available to you next week as well … your shopping may take a few trips to get the best asking price
• Find out the invoice price that the dealer paid for the vehicle. The dealer certainly deserves to earn an honest profit for their work in getting you a car that fits your needs, and they want to help you get what you want. But knowing the invoice cost can be your starting point for negotiating … not the list price indicated at the lot!
• Understand that when negotiating from the invoice value, there will be destination, tax and title costs added. But don't settle for additional premium costs such as cleaning of the vehicle or premiums based on popularity of the vehicle type
• Considering a trade in? Make sure you do your homework and know the value of the car you're considering to trade. You may want to consider the benefits of trading in at the dealership … no additional worry in selling on your own, and in many States, the end sales tax that you pay on your new vehicle will be only on the difference between your purchase and your traded in vehicle!
* All articles provided are for information only and are not to be construed as legal advice.
Maranda teams up with E.S.C.A.P.E. Fire Safety for some holiday advice.
The Sparkle Celebration is a holiday networking and shopping event to celebrate women entrepreneurs, and the latest evolution of GROW. See photos from the celebration here!
Did you know the Kostume Room is a wig bank for the American Cancer Society? They offer free wigs to anyone undergoing chemo or radiation. Gayle Vaartjes is the owner of the Kostume Room and came up with the idea after she was diagnosed with cancer in 2004. She was looking for a way to give back.