GRAND RAPIDS, Mich (WOTV) - You know you want to remodel, but something is holding you back. Too much information? Not sure of your design style? What you see in magazines or on TV are just not you? Your house is all about you: Good design is personal. Good design starts with you and what you want. It takes conscious effort to not be conventional. Try these five ideas to kick-start your home project.
1. MAKE A BIG WISH LIST: Wish lists can easily be divided into two categories: ones that have been edited down to only what is reasonably attainable, and those that dream big (big, in this case, means "wonderful," not "big" as in "big house"). Only two things can happen with a wish list: Either you don't get everything you hope for, or you don't get everything quite the way you thought you might. But you won't get anything different from what you have now if you don't "wish big."
2. BE UNCONVENTIONAL; Boring, cookie-cutter houses happen when you're unwilling to try something truly personal. It 's hard — really hard — to break out of the status quo when you're remodeling a home because there are so many people happy to tell you that you can't do that … it's too unconventional. But of course you can!
3. LOOK DIFFERENT PLACES FOR INSPIRATION: Break out of the status quo by looking in places you don't expect to find ideas, and you'll soon find your imagination revved up. Tweaking a small bathroom? Try looking at a boating magazine. Want a rustic design for your kitchen? Look at old pole barns.
4. FIND UNUSUAL HOUSES AND TALK WITH THE OWNERS: they'll probably be more than happy to share their experiences. The Internet might be easier as there are lots of blogs and websites featuring unusual and unconventional homes and their owners.
5. TAKE YOUR TIME: You're going to change your mind about the scheme you're working on several times before you settle on a final design. And that's good. In fact, the more design concepts you explore (especially early on) the better. The more options you give yourself, the more likely you'll come up with something special. There's no rush. This is a big thing you're doing, and you don't want to wish later on that you'd taken more time with it.
Remember, this is YOUR project, it's all about YOU so have fun and be bold!
Maranda and her partners joined together for a special holiday celebration at Meijer for foster & refugee families with Bethany Christian Services. WOTV 4 Women along with Bethany Christian Services, Craig's Cruisers, Meijer, Fifth-Third Bank & Priority Health & other partners spent the night meeting these special families during a taping of Maranda Where You Live. The night was filled with food, entertainment and shopping with these special families.
It's the first Christmas lights competition of its kind for television! Four families will compete each week to transform their homes for the holidays for a big cash prize!
Enter to win a $50 SUBWAY Restaurant gift card from Jordan Carson and the Social Sizzle! Enter to win here!