Because you love your pets, you try to make your home as pet-friendly as possible, while still maintaining your home’s style. Here are some ways to integrate pet-friendly decor into your home from Standale Interiors.
1. Choose flooring wisely.
Let’s face it: pets make messes. Choose flooring in your home that can handle the messes and the general wear and tear of cute little claws.
- Hardwood floors in your home are a great choice because the wood makes cleaning up messes easy and the pet hair doesn’t stick to it. You could also choose laminate flooring, which boasts the same benefits as wood, but doesn’t scratch as easily. Tile is also a good choice for pets, given its hard surface and easy clean-up.
- If you want to use a rug or carpet with pets, make sure it is durable, easy to clean, and, preferably, the same color as your pet.
- You can have stain-resistant carpet in your basement/playroom. In the living room, you can have a jute rug that happens to be the same color as your pets. Indoor-outdoor rugs are a great choice for pet owners’ decor because they are usually low-pile and so easy to clean. They come in all kinds of bright and funky colors and designs. No matter which kind of flooring you choose, make sure you vacuum often and clean up any messes as soon as possible.
2. Choose fabrics that are washable.
For better or for worse, if you allow your dogs on your bed, make sure each bed has a washable quilt or duvet cover on it. If you allow your pets on your furniture, you can find washable and attractive covers to protect your furniture. You can find everything from full-on slipcovers to small mats you can just drape over the furniture.
3. Use your mudroom or entry as “Pet Central.”
Have a central location in your home for pet gear. In your mudroom, you can have hooks for leashes and towels for wet dogs coming in the house. That way, everything you need for coming in or going out with the dogs is right by your door. If you have space for it, having a dog bath or sink in your mudroom is a luxury that would certainly come in handy.
4. Integrate pet-related gear into your home’s decor.
This is more challenging, to be sure, but, when possible, make the pet-related gear fit into your home’s decor. For example, choose a pet bed with the same fabric as one of the pillows on your sofa or make a creative pet feeding station.
Experience the magic of Grand Rapids with a ride through the city on a horse-drawn carriage.
Student marvels at how far they've come at West Michigan Aviation Academy in Grand Rapids.
Maranda and her partners joined together for a special holiday celebration at Meijer for foster & refugee families with Bethany Christian Services. WOTV 4 Women along with Bethany Christian Services, Craig's Cruisers, Meijer, Fifth-Third Bank & Priority Health & other partners spent the night meeting these special families during a taping of Maranda Where You Live. The night was filled with food, entertainment and shopping with these special families.