GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOTV) - It’s not too early to begin thinking of quick “holiday fixes” and a new area rug could be the perfect fix for you!
A room’s “fifth wall,” the floor, can showcase dramatic area rugs that are so breathtaking in color and design; they’re like works of art. And rugs can change the feel of a room in mere minutes—so it’s perfect for a quick holiday fix! Rugs look beautiful layered over carpet, adding warmth to tile, or contrasting with traditional hardwood or laminate.
An area rug is a key decorative element because it anchors your seating arrangements and pathways, grounding the space with texture and color. Here are some tips to keep in mind when selecting the perfect area rug for your space.
- Make sure it’s appropriate to other interior architectural elements, the style of the room and of course the function of the room. You don’t want an antique, oriental rug with your mid-century modern furniture.
- Balance the rug, paying particular attention to the scale and proportion of the room.
- Be generous; don’t skimp on the size and put a postage stamp of a rug on the floor of a huge great room! A large rug makes the space feel more public and showing the border of the floor around the rug makes the room feel bigger as well.
- If you’re using several area rugs in the room, make sure they “speak” to each other by finding a connecting thread or element in each rug. Harmony of scale, pattern and color is more important than the specific style of the rug. Using several area rugs create cozy conversational spaces.
- Be aware of the texture of the rug in relation to other materials and textures already in the room. Too much texture will be uncomfortable.
- Balance the color of all elements in the room. You don’t want it to look like you just threw this colorful rug down just to add color to a corner; you want the colors to resonate with each other and create a pleasing flow around the room.
- And finally, make sure the rug you choose can handle the foot traffic. You don’t want to be disappointed with a beautiful, but inexpensive rug that wears out during the holidays!
Keep these tips in mind and your guests will say WOW! When they see your new area rug!
Be brave, be bold because this is 4 you! Share your photos on our Facebook page
Gail keeps you in the know on what is going on in the latest family law issue of whether a father can gain custody over a fetus and therefore limit the liberty of the mom before the baby is born.
Radiothon Thursday, December 12th and Friday, December 13th
One of Grand Rapids newest draws to visitors and locals alike, The Downtown Market, is buzzing with holiday cheer! Go inside the market and browse our photo gallery!